National Professional Qualifications (NPQ)
The National Professional Qualifications are accredited by the Department for Education and offered in conjunction with UCL.
NPQ registration for the Spring 2023 cohort is now OPEN. Watch the video to find out more.
Why complete an NPQ?
- Enhance and develop your existing skills and knowledge both inside and outside of the classroom
- Improve your leadership confidence
- Drive improvement within your school
- Access a network of leaders and benefit from peer experience
- Carefully paced programmes across 12 and 18 months
Why UCL/Teach West London?
- UCL IOE is ranked number one globally for Education in the QS World University Rankings for 9 years running. Their NPQ programmes have been rated outstanding and over 95% of participants would recommend working with them.
- 93% of current NPQ participant feedback rates Teach West London face to face sessions as Good or Excellent.
NPQ registration for the Spring 2023 cohort is now OPEN.
Registrations can be made via the DfE NPQ Registration Service.
Before you start, you must:
- have a teacher reference number (TRN)
- have your funding source confirmed – NPQs are currently FULLY FUNDED by the DfE for all teachers and leaders employed in state funded schools
- know which NPQ course you want to study
- have chosen a provider (i.e. UCL)
The closing date for applications is Thursday 26 January 2023.
Below, are links to the flyers for each of the different NPQ Courses through UCL / Teach West London:
NPQ Course Flyers
NEW - NPQ Leading Literacy (NPQLL) - designed for teachers who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading literacy across a year group, key stage, phase or school.
- NPQ Leading Teaching (NPQLT) - designed for teachers who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading teaching in a subject, year group, key stage or phase.
- NPQ Leading Teacher Development (NPQLTD) - designed for teachers who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading the development of other teachers in their school. They may have responsibilities for the development of all teachers across a school or specifically trainees or teachers who are early in their career.
- NPQ Leading Behaviour and Culture (NPQLBC) - designed for teachers who have, or are aspiring to have, responsibilities for leading behaviour and/or supporting pupil wellbeing in their school.
- NEW - NPQ Early Years Leadership (NPQEYL) - designed for early years leaders qualified to at least Level 3 with full and relevant qualifications working in a wide range of Early Years (EY) settings including Private, Voluntary or Independent (PVI) with leadership responsibilities.
- NPQ Senior Leadership (NPQSL) - designed for school leaders who are, or are aspiring to be, a senior leader with cross-school responsibilities.
- NPQ Headship (NPQH) - designed for school leaders who are, or are aspiring to be, a headteacher or head of school with responsibility for leading a school.
- NPQ Executive Leadership (NPQEL) - designed for school leaders who are, or are aspiring to be, an executive headteacher or a school trust CEO with responsibility for leading several schools.
- NEW - Early Headship Coaching Offer (EHCO) - this bespoke programme consists of tailored resources, coaching and peer networking opportunities to support ongoing professional development and wellbeing. The additional support offer is designed for those in their first five years of headship.
This flow chart shows the different stages of training through to NPQ at these levels.
Further information about the UCL programme is here.